Skip to main content

How Do I Report A...

If you or someone else is in immediate or imminent danger, call or text 911.

Sexual Misconduct or Sexual Assault

Sexual assault is never the victim’s fault. We support survivors' choices — whether or not to report, and to whom to report — and recognize that these choices are particularly difficult in some cases. Sexual misconduct is engaging in any sexual activity without first obtaining affirmative consent to the specific activity, whether or not the conduct violates any civil or criminal law. Sexual activity includes, but is not limited to, kissing, touching intimate body parts, fondling, intercourse, penetration of any body part, and oral sex. It also includes any unwelcome physical sexual acts, such as unwelcome sexual touching, sexual assault, sexual battery, rape, and dating violence. Sexual misconduct may include using physical force, violence, threat, or intimidation, ignoring the objections of the other person, causing the other person's intoxication or incapacitation through the use of drugs or alcohol, or taking advantage of the other person's incapacitation (including voluntary intoxication) to engage in sexual activity.

Sexual assault is a form of sexual misconduct and is an attempt, coupled with the ability, to commit a violent injury on the person of another because of that person's gender or sex. Sexual assault also includes rape and acquaintance rape. Sexual battery is a form of sexual misconduct and is any willful and unlawful use of force or violence upon the person of another because of that person's gender or sex as well as touching an intimate part of another person against that person's will and for the purpose of sexual arousal, gratification or abuse.

Report the assault to Sonoma State Police Department or a university official, whether or not the survivor plans to file charges. Reporting a sexual misconduct or sexual assault does NOT commit you to filing charges. Survivors can make that decision later. But the sooner the assault is reported, the better. Sexual assault is a crime and we encourage reporting.

If you or someone else is in immediate or imminent danger, call or text 911.

Physical or Workplace Violence

Physical or workplace violence is any behavior, action, or statement made by an individual or group directed toward another individual, or group, that is threatening or intimidating and causes any reasonable individual who is the recipient of the behavior, action, or statement to fear for his or her safety and/or property. It includes interpersonal and domestic violence. These instances can come in many forms and can occur in singular or multiple incidents.

Physical violence that happens while on campus at SSU, including in the residential communities, should be reported to Sonoma State Police Department. Once you have made a report of physical violence, a Sonoma State Police Department police officer will ensure that you are safe. If you need medical attention, the officer will help direct you to those services. The officer will need to ask you some questions about the incident or situation. These questions will help Sonoma State Police Department understand the situation and help the officer direct you to on-campus or local support services. Survivors and witnesses are strongly encouraged to report any acts of violence while on campus.

If you or someone else is in immediate or imminent danger, call or text 911.

  • Report physical violence to Sonoma State Police Department at (707) 664-4444

Bias Incident

Implicit bias (also referred to as unconscious bias) is the process of associating stereotypes or attitudes towards categories of people without conscious awareness – which can result in actions and decisions that are at odds with one’s conscious beliefs about fairness and equality.

If you or someone else is in immediate or imminent danger, call or text 911.


Discrimination is the adverse action taken against a student by the CSU, a CSU employee, or another student because of a protected status. Protected status in this case means any of the following:

  • age
  • disability (physical and mental)
  • gender (or sex)
  • gender identity (including transgender)
  • gender expression
  • genetic information
  • marital status
  • medical condition
  • nationality
  • race or ethnicity (including color or ancestry)
  • religion (or religious creed)
  • sexual orientation
  • sex stereotype
  • veteran or military status.

Concern about a Student

The Care Team serves as a central network focused on assisting students displaying behaviors that may impede their ability to be successful in the University community. Care Team’s focus is to offer supportive intervention and guidance to any students who appear to be struggling and help restore their lives academically and personally. Care Team exists to ensure continuity of services and connect students with the support they may need. It does not preempt any other university department in performing its duties in enforcing the law or managing student situations.

If you or someone else is in immediate or imminent danger, call or text 911.

Property Crime or Theft

Property crime is a type of crime that includes burglary, larceny, theft, motor vehicle theft, arson, shoplifting, and vandalism, among other types. To make a police report about property crime including vehicle burglary or vandalism that occurred on campus or in the residential community, you will need to report the information to a Sonoma State Police Department officer. Once you have made a report of property crime or theft, a Sonoma State Police Department officer will ask you some questions about the incident or situation including specific information including serial numbers of belongings or items, if possible. These questions will help Sonoma State Police Department to help understand the situation and help complete a formal police report.

  • Report a property crime or theft to Sonoma State Police Department at (707) 664-4444


Stalking means engaging in a repeated two or more acts, including but not limited to, acts in which the stalker directly, indirectly, or through third parties, by any action, method, device, or means, follows, monitors, observes, surveils, threatens, or communicates to or about a person, or interferes with a person's property, directed at a specific person that would cause a reasonable person under similar circumstances and with the same Protected Status(es) as the complainant, to fear for the safety of self or others' safety or to suffer substantial emotional distress. Substantial emotional distress means significant mental suffering or anguish that may, but does not necessarily require medical or other professional treatment or counseling.

Identity Theft

Identity theft involves acquiring key pieces of someone’s identifying information, such as name, address, date of birth, social security number, or mother’s maiden name, in order to impersonate them. This information enables the identity thief to commit fraud, including opening new bank accounts, purchasing automobiles, applying for loans, credit cards and social security benefits, renting apartments, and establishing services with utility and phone companies. Identity theft that happens while on campus at SSU including in the residential communities should be reported to Sonoma State Police Department.

  • Report an identity theft crime to Sonoma State Police Department at (707) 664-4444

Academic and Student Code of Conduct

The Office of Student Conduct promotes a safe and secure campus environment for learning and growing by serving as the primary source of student conduct and academic integrity. If a member of the University community has witnessed a violation of the Standards of Student Conduct by an SSU student and believes that formal conduct proceedings are warranted, a complaint may be directed to the Office of Student Conduct by submitting a Student Conduct Referral form or by calling (707) 664-3396.

Environmental, Facilities or Grounds-Related Concerns

Environmental Health and Safety

Safety concerns can be reported to Environmental Health and Safety about lab safety issues, general workplace and office safety, fire safety, and any environmental concerns.

Report a health and safety concern to

Emergency Management

Concerns related to emergency or disaster planning, the emergency operations center, campus emergency preparedness or response can be directed to the Office of Emergency Services.

Report an emergency services concern to

Facilities Buildings and Grounds Management

Students, faculty, staff and campus visitors may submit a safety service request work order to Facilities regarding any unsafe or hazardous condition(s) they may see around campus.

Examples of this could include:

  • a plumbing concern (flood/leak)
  • broken sidewalk (tripping hazard)
  • or an interior/exterior light out (inadequate lighting levels)
  • custodial concerns (spill/slip hazard)
  • building temperature that is extremely too cold or too hot

Additionally, any other building-related maintenance need, or campus grounds-related maintenance need, can also be directed to Facilities Management.

Note: If you are a visitor at SSU and not a student or employee, please submit maintenance requests via email to Please include the location of the concern on campus, the date you saw or witnessed the concern, and any other information that can help SSU resolve the issue.

Work-Related Injuries for Employees

SSU and its auxiliaries provide Workers' Compensation to all of its employees injured on the job, including student assistants. Workers' Compensation is a program that provides benefits to employees no matter who was at fault in work-related injuries or incidents.

Don’t see your concern?

Report a safety concern to the SafeSSU team. Please do not report ongoing emergencies or current or past crimes using this form.

If you or someone else is in immediate or imminent danger, call or text 911.